The most comprehensive of the general surveys that covers more aspects and components of the building. This service is suitable for all building types, age and condition.
For most defects the report will offer advice so that you can approach a builder or supplier of a service to give you a fairly accurate price for repair or replacement.
The RICS Building Survey is the premium product in the RICS Home Survey range. Clients who want a clear, impartial and detailed assessment of any type of property will choose it, and their expectations will be higher than that for the RICS HomeBuyer and Condition Reports. To meet
this, it is essential that the RICS Building Survey Service:
- is performed by a surveyor who has sufficient knowledge and competence necessary to carry out a detailed condition assessment of the property
- describes the identifiable risk of potential or hidden defects
- ensures that the surveyor establishes a relationship with the client in order to determine the client’s precise requirements before providing the service, and to be able to discuss the report once it has been delivered
- includes an appropriate desk-top study carried out by the surveyor that provides a good working knowledge of the property in its locality
- ensures a thorough and detailed property inspection, and provides a report that is factual and unambiguous, is presented in a logical order and is written in plain language. The report must also clearly differentiate facts from the surveyor’s opinion.
A “Traffic light code” will be attached to each section; red light for “Beware” and a green light for satisfactory.
Where a red light is highlighted simple and straightforward advice will be given, it might mean a further report will be required (for example from a specialist company) so that you can obtain a realistic estimate to repair or replace that part of the building.
Note: Electric, gas, oil, water and drainage services are only visually inspected and the
relevant qualified specialists should be employed.
You can also download RICS online resources shown below: